AFN names strong list of 25 athletes for Tokyo Olympics
The Athletics Federation of Nigeria (AFN) has released a team list of 25 athletes who will hoist Nigeria’s flag at the 2020 Olympics Games in Tokyo, Japan.
The list comprises of 15 females and 10 males, with all named athletes expected to open camp in Abuja on Sunday, July 4 to get final preparations underway.
Blessing Okagbare and Grace Nwokocha will be the busiest on the track for Nigeria as they have been list for three events, namely: women’s 100m, 200m and 4x100m.
Also, Divine Oduduru is listed for the men’s 100m and 200m events.
Meanwhile, a sextet of Oduduru, Raymond Ekevwo, Enoch Adegoke, Usheoritse Itsekiri, Godson Brume and Jerry Jakpa have also been listed to compete in the men’s 4x100m in case any of a late withdrawal from any of the qualified countries for the event. Worthy to note that Nigeria narrowly missed out of meeting the qualification standard for this relay event.
THE FULL LIST
- 100m: Blessing Okagbare, Grace Nwokocha, Rosemary Chukwuma
- 200m: Blessing Okagbare, Favour Ofili, Rosemary Chukwuma
- 110mH: Tobi Amusan
- 400m: Patience Okon-George
- Long Jump: Ese Brume
- Triple Jump: Ruth Usoro
- Hammer Throw: Annette Echikunwoke
- Discus Throw: Chioma Onyekwere
- 4x100m: Blessing Okagbare, Grace Nwokocha, Rosemary Chukwuma, Knowledge Omovoh, Favour Ofili, Tima Godbless
- 100m: Divine Oduduru, Raymond Ekevwo, Enoch Adegoke, Usheoritse Itsekiri
- 200m: Divine Oduduru
- Shot Put: Chukwuebuka Enekwechi
- *4x100m: Divine Oduduru, Raymond Ekevwo, Enoch Adegoke, Usheoritse Itsekiri, Godson Brume, Jerry Jakpa
- 4x400m: Chidi Okezie, Samson Nathaniel, Emmanuel Ojeli, Patience Okon-George, Knowledge Omovoh, Imaobong Nse-Uko, Glory Patrick, Yinka Ajayi